- Status Operational
- Availability Commercial Research Student project
- Test Types Deep water towing tank
- Facility Length (metres)138
- Facility Width (metres)6
- Facility Heigth (metres)3.5
- Mininum speed (m/s)0
- Maximum speed (m/s)12
- Wave maker type Double flap wave maker
- Maximum wave height (metres)0.70
- Minimum wave period (s)0.5
- Maximum wave period (s)3.33
- Measurements Force meas. Displacement meas. Pressure meas. Acceleration meas. Propeller thrust and torque Wave meas. Optical tracking meas. 3D wake meas. Wave in deck tests
The University of Southampton Towing Tank is a new facility located at the recently opened Southampton Boldrewood Innovation Campus, which the University shares with Lloyd’s Register’s Global Technology Centre.
With dimensions of 138 m x 6 m x 3.5 m and a maximum carriage speed of 12 m/s, this world class facility is ideally suited to support teaching, research and commercial clients, not just for conventional ship model testing but across the aerospace, energy, and transportation sectors.