- Max Length (meters)10.6
- Max Width (meters)7
- Max Heigth (meters)8
- Max weight (ton)150
- Max Temperature (Celcius)60
- Min. Temperature (Celcius)-60
- Max Humidity (%)100
- Min Humidity (%)3
- Salt spray from X sides0
- Channels of stock data acquition100
- Temperature meas.
- Humidity meas.
- PT 100/1000 meas.
- Thermocouple meas.
- IR Measurement
- Third party accreditation
- 3D model of facility
Test Facility Description
OWI-Lab’s climatic test facility is used to test and verify wind turbine components and full integrated systems as gearboxes, generators, liquid filled and cast resin transformers, power converters, hydraulic systems, pitch & yaw drives / assemblies, anti- and de-icing systems or coatings, etc…, in extreme climatic conditions to which wind turbines can be exposed in their full lifetime (either during transport, storage, installation and in their operational lifetime). A specific focus of the climatic test lab is in to test cold-start-up sequences, cold climate / winterization effects, and icing conditions on large electro-mechanical equipment.
OWI-Lab’s large climatic test chamber specs:
– Dimensions: 10.6m x 7m x 8m
– Capability to test >150 ton machinery
– Temperature range: -60°C to +60°C
– Thermal cycling possibilities
– Thermal camera to monitor test campaign in extreme temperatures
– 2%RH to 95%RH
– Solar Infrared-heat 10-1000W/m² / 3m x 3m array
– Large cooling capacity: +60°C to -40°C air temp in 1 hour
– Icing & ice-spray tests possible
– Cold start-test-up bench for gearboxes available (10kNM break-away torque)
– Flexible power set-up 50Hz/60Hz up to 10MW for electrical testing load testing
Special test infrastructure for wind power R&D: We house a 2.1MW ‘cold climate’ wind turbine gearbox available to facilitate R&D projects and validation tests on (new) lubricants, (new) cold start-up sequences and the thermal behavior of gearbox auxiliaries. New lubrication systems and new lubricants can be functionally tested and demonstrated in the most extreme conditions in a real life set-up. Also a BIO-Slim KFAF 4MVA offshore wind turbine transformer is available for R&D-projects on cold start-up testing and thermal behavior in general.
The facility is part of Sirris, a collective technology center, meaning that the climatic test facility is also available and used by spill-over industries active in for example: Solar Power / Energy & Grid (e.g. switch gears, inverters, circuit breakers, transformers, GIS-systems,…), Off-highway vehicles & Mining equipment, Automotive applications, Defence, Telecom, Aerospace, Shipping, etc…
Testing standards that can be supported and are commonly performed:
– NEN-EN-IEC 60068-2-1 (cold )
– NEN-EN-IEC 60068-2-2 (dry heat)
– NEN-EN-IEC 60068-2-14 (change of temperature / thermal cycles)
– NEN-EN-IEC 60068-2-30 (damp heat)
– ISO 19897 (conditions of icing tests)
– Thermal shock test according IEC-60076-11 / GOST-R 54827
(cast resin transformers ; class C1 (-5°C) ; C2 (-25°C) ; C3 (-45°C); C4 (-60°C))
A factsheet of the large climatic test chamber can be found here.
Read more at: http://owi-lab.be/content/climate-chamber-testing